Woopra

Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Fish Story You Won't Believe

A Fishy Federal Prosecution
Last week, I had the opportunity to file a friend of the court legal brief with the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of commercial fishermen throughout the country, including those involved in the local Cape May commercial fishing industry represented by the Garden State Seafood Association.  In the case, we speak up for a Florida-based commercial fisherman who found himself facing a federal prosecution for white-collar crime, based on three undersized fish the fisherman caught in the Gulf of Mexico. I thought this prosecution was both unfair and unconstitutional, and I am blessed to have had the opportunity to explain to the Supreme Court why I thought so.  I am grateful to Pacific Legal Foundation, and the six commercial fishing associations, including the Garden State Seafood Association, that allowed me to represent them on this legal brief.

You can read the legal brief here, you can read the fisherman's story here, and you can read my other, more detailed blogpost about this work at my employer's blog right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment