Woopra

Monday, February 25, 2013

Cape May Time Machine: Next Stop, the 1980s

Lately I've been listening to old Casey Kasem American Top 40 from the 1980s. I love 80s cheese-pop, I must admit.

Anyway, since I can't find any news worth reporting this morning, I thought I would cut and paste a few links, and part of a story, to 1980's-era stories about Cape May.  That is the decade that cemented my love for Cape May, and it's interesting to see what's changed and what's stayed the same.  Here are two stories from the NY Times archive: August 17, 1984 Ambling on Sunswept Cape May in New Jersey and July 4, 1982, For the Shore, the Season is Here.

From the July 1982 story:

 And from the 1984 story:

 You should really read both articles!

And since today is Monday, and at least one of the articles mentions the Chalfonte, here is today's Sign of the Day:


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! I've been coming to Cape May for a week in June ever since 1986. I stay on Stockton at the same house every year. I'm a writer, and have written a number of poems about Cape May. My favorite place in all the world! I try to get there for a weekend in September or October each year as well, but that's harder, as I'm a teacher.

    ReplyDelete