Woopra

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hurricane Irene Headed East?


Although not out of the woods yet, the above graphic from WeatherUnderground.Com suggests that Hurricane Irene will not directly impact Cape May. It remains to be seen if it still will have some lesser impact on Cape May -- if the eye passes close enough, I suppose it could. But as a longtime close-watcher of hurricanes, I have to say that this storm looks like one that will continue to move more and more east as the models update. I hope I'm right on that one. To that end, I will note that 48 to 72 hours ago, the models showed the storm drilling South Florida. Now, Irene has no interest in Florida. Thankfully!

Again, nothing is certain. During the crazy hurricane season of 2004, there were hurricanes that did all sorts of wacky things. One did loop-de-loops in the Atlantic and hit Florida twice, for instance. Another hit Florida and then parked itself over the state for about three days.

But the more typical hurricanes, at least since I've been watching, take a track like the current one, and the track gets moved east and east until it no longer hits the States. I'm hoping that this one does not hit the OBX, or Cape May.

This blog originally posted at 8:56 a.m. on Wednesday, August 24, 2011. Keep that in mind if you're reading it later today, or even Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment